Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Zentangle!

Have you heard of it? My kids just took a class on it this morning. Anyone can do it. Well, what is it? If I quote Sandy Steen Bartholomew from her book, "Totally Tangled", "Zentangle is meditation achieved through pattern-making. A Zentangle is a complicated looking drawing that is built one line at a time. Simple tangles, or patterns, are combined in an unplanned way that grows and changes in amazing directions. With your mind engaged in drawing, your body relaxes. Anxiety ans stress move to the back burner." After we got home from the kids' class, I couldn't wait to try it myself. This is what I created:



Kinda cool, huh? There are so many different tangles (patterns) - the combinations of which are endless! Here are the one's my kids did in class today:


The top two are my 6-year-old daughter's, and the bottom two are my 9-year-old son's. They had a lot of fun! If you are interested in taking a class, certified instructor Toni Henneman will be teaching on the following dates, times, and places (the one's that I know of):

A Time For Memories, 78 Worcester Street, Suite 2, North Grafton, MA  (508) 839-9111
Saturday, August 14, 2010 from 10am - 12pm  (Registration deadline - August 12th!!)

The Crop Shop, 333 Weymouth Street, Rockland, MA  (781) 792-2767
Friday, August 27, 2010 from 7 - 9pm
Saturday, August 28 from 10am - 12pm

The class fee for each of the above is $35 which includes all your class supplies. So if you're in the mood to try something new, give it a shot! Go to www.zentangle.com for more inspiration! Happy tangling!

1 comment: