Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I Can Do That!

I am excited because I got a bunch of new (well, new to me) "special issues" of Paper Crafts Magazine for Christmas. I LOVE looking at cards and getting new ideas. I especially love it when I come across a card, and right away think to myself, "I can do that!" It doesn't happen as often as you think! So today I am going to walk you through how I recreated a card I saw on page 103 of the Paper Crafts special issue, "Handmade Cards", designed by Heather Campbell. Here is the original card:

The chevron patterned paper that Heather used on the right-side of her card screamed "washi tape" to me. Since I just happen to have some gorgeous, 1"-wide, Juniper washi tape from Close To My Heart, I knew I had to use it to make this card. So I gathered my supplies:


I didn't have a hexagon background or the yellow "dots", so I used a background stamp from my "All The Details" stamp set and Durables Artisan Studs instead. As you can see, I have already trimmed my Whisper cardstock to 1/4" smaller than my card base (for a 1/8" border all the way around), and rounded the top left corner. Next, I wrapped a strip of Juniper washi tape around the right edge of the Whisper cardstock:


I just love how this looks! Admittedly, I should have stamped the background before putting the washi tape on (my bad), but this was easily remedied by using a sticky-note to cover the tape that I would have stamped behind. I stamped my background in second-generation Juniper ink (I felt that first-generation would have been too overpowering). Stamping an image in second-generation simply means that before stamping your image onto your project, you first stamp once onto a piece of scrap paper, then onto your project. This gives you a lighter, more subtle impression:


Next, I cut my sentiment on the Cricut using CTMH's "Artbooking" cartridge. I found a cute "Hello" on page 59 of the booklet. Since the "hello" in the original card is wood, I decided to cut my sentiment multiple times so that I could glue them all on top of one another to create depth. I cut it five times:



Once I glued them all together, it had a little bit of substance:

Now it was just a matter of putting everything together:




I used a thin, black pen to run along the outline of "Hello" to make it "pop" a bit more. I also trimmed off the period that was at the end.


I hope this inspires you to recreate something you see - in a magazine, online, on Pinterest, or anywhere! Just remember - you can do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment