Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Mix It Up!

I believe that it is coded into our DNA that "mixing things up" is "bad". I mean, why else would it be so hard for us papercrafters to use papers from more than one "collection" in our projects? Well, today I'm here to tell you that it is ok. The world as we know it will not come to an end if you mix patterns and colors on the same project. In fact, you may find it quite liberating. You may also find yourself using up a lot more of your scraps!

Luckily, Close To My Heart makes mixing easy and stress-free. Each of their gorgeous paper packs has what's referred to as a "hero" pattern - the bold, dominant pattern in the pack. However, each paper pack also has a more subtle, smaller pattern which is a lot more versatile - and easier to mix! For the card that I decided to make, I used Pattern #19 from CTMH's "Make It From Your Heart - Volume 1". It features four "banners" perfect for showcasing four different patterns of paper. First, I'll show you the paper packs that I chose to use. They are:

"Laughing Lola"
"Surf's Up":
"Tommy":
and "Chantilly"
Now, seen together like this, one would cringe at the thought of ever using them together on the same project. However, here is the card that I created:
Cute, right? I used a strip of CTMH's Slate Washi Tape down the center of each banner and tied it all up with a bow. Ooo, I'm thinking of all the scrap pieces I can use this way!

So let this be a lesson to you - we may be pre-programmed to resist "mixing", but fear not! It can be done - and can be cute, too!  :-)





1 comment:

  1. So cute! GREAT idea for scraps. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete