Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Creative Chalk Techniques - Part 1

So, when is the last time you broke out your chalks? If you're anything like me, you're thinking, "Well, my kids used their sidewalk chalk over the summer...". But, no, those aren't the chalks I am talking about. I am referring to the chalks that you may have in your craft stash - buried beneath glitter and glue sticks - that you may have used to color stamped images to get a soft, pastel look. It's been years since I've even thought about using mine! Then I came across the "Dear Go-to Gals" column in the March/April issue of Paper Crafts Magazine, which answers a reader's question regarding tips and hints on how to use chalks. I was so intrigued that I decided to try some of these techniques myself. I tried three different techniques, so I am going to post them over the next three weeks.

The first one is my favorite, and honestly, when I saw it in the magazine, I didn't believe it would work! Here's what you'll need for this technique: one color of chalk, a cotton ball, VersaMark ink (or any clear embossing ink), and a stamp (as well as cardstock, which is not pictured).
The first step is to use the cotton ball to apply chalk (I am using dark green) to the entire surface of your cardstock:
Next, stamp your image onto the cardstock using the VersaMark ink:
Then, simply chalk-up your cotton ball again - with the same color chalk as before - and rub it over the stamped image:
Voila! Like magic, the image appears - dark, crisp & clean! I did the exact same thing with a sentiment in the upper left corner, then used it to make this finished card:
How gorgeous is that?! I absolutely love this technique, and can't wait to use it again!

So dig out those chalks and try this. I would LOVE to see what you come up with! Check back next week for another cool chalk technique!



No comments:

Post a Comment