Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Ask The Masters" - Part 3

Continuing with our "Ask the Masters" series, and our focus on photography, here is the next question answered by Memory Makers Masters:

"When it comes to capturing candids, subtlety is not exactly my strong suit. How can I snap photos on the sly?"

Kelli Noto has this to say: Shoot From Afar: "I feel like the paparazzi, stalking my kids with a zoom lens!" With a telephoto or zoom lens, you can capture the moment and still be pretty far from the action, making your presence virtually unknown. I was able to capture this photo of my son in the water from way up on the beach. He had no idea I was taking his picture:





Susan Weinroth suggests to Get Behind the Action: "With respect to people's hang-ups about their backsides, photos taken from this perspective can capture poignant moments of emotion. From behind, you can capture linked arms, touching heads, facial profiles engaged in eye contact." This is one of my favorite photos from our trip to the beach...shot from behind without anyone being the wiser:


Lastly, Suzy Plantamura recommends to Focus First and Wait:  "The trick: anticipate the area of action, focus your camera on that spot and...wait with a ready trigger finger." When trying this on your own children, Suzy advises, "Just take the picture before they have time to respond." This photo was taken while my daughter enjoyed the wind at the beach. Not only will being ready for the shot help you get it, but taking many photos in succession will also up your chances of getting the perfect candid:




Come back next time when we'll be showing you three cool digital photo effects to make your pictures shine!

1 comment: